Thursday, August 25, 2011

Competency #5: I know what I want to do during the next 10 years

With heartfelt greetings that you've had a productive, happy and super-fun summer! This summer has been one of periods of intense joy and satisfaction, coupled with a large dose of intense sadness for me.  The circle of life, I believe....

Today's competency involves knowing what you want to do with your life during the next 10 years.  So.....how old are you right now?  How old will you be in a mere 10 years?  Can you envision 10 years "down the road?"  Do you expect to be working where you are currently working?  If so, why?  If not, why not?  Will your life in the next 10 years include important milestones like adding to your family, experiencing an "empty nest", retiring, seeking and finding a new career or job, moving, going back to school or finding that "soul mate"?

For me, I will be 68 in 10 years.  Do I still want to be working?  YOU BET - although my definition of working might be different than yours.  I expect to be busy (if you know me, you know that this is a MUST) having defined my role on earth perhaps much differently that I do at the present.

Your task, therefore, is to picture yourself 10 years from now, and then set goals - personal/career/civic and: evaluate your present situation to determine if this is helping or hindering you toward your vision of you 10 years out.  For some of you, this will be painful; others of you will think, "yup, I can see myself continuing down this path for another 10 years." Forget about the state of the economy - you heard that right - because, if you've followed my blog for awhile, you understand that you'll keep yourself "job-ready" by regularly documenting your most significant achievements (not "duties").

Actively engaging in this visioning activity can create confidence and security.  Don't procrasinate!  Not feeling passionate about your current job situation?  ACT now and your next decade will be full of promise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment