Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Career Competency #3!

This week's  competency is as follows:
I have seven major achievements that clarify a pattern of interests and abilities that are relevant to my job and career.

OK - this is serious - you all have at least seven, don't you?  This can be in the form of projects, events, tasks, or even something you volunteered for - sort of a "go above and beyond the call of duty" period.  As I told one of my MBA grads today, document, document, document the minute you start your job and quantify as much as possible.
Here's the thing:  you may not even realize these patterns - maybe you're not that aware that is really IS an achievement--maybe you just chalk it up to working hard.  Maybe you think you're doing great stuff but someone minimizes it in some way.

HEY! This is where you've got to just stop and think - are other folks doing this?  Is this something I'm proud of?  Are folks I care about paying attention to this?  If so, write it down, and be proud of it!

When I first tried this, I started to wonder if my efforts were worthy of writing down.  Here's my first entry:
Coordinated a two day Career Pathways Conference, facilitating two workshops


Then I looked at what I wrote and thought, "wow, I did that."  But when it came time to put that on my resume, I felt embarrassed.  HUH?  The point is, we often minimize or forget about the results of our efforts.  And, if we are truly concerned about managing our careers, we need to keep a record of what we've done and promote ourselves every chance we get.  This is hard to do for females especially.  What?  Tout our skills?  YES - be proud of what you can do and tell people about it!

Stay tuned for next week's competency:  I know what I like and dislike in work......

No comments:

Post a Comment